All webmasters know how important keywords research is. Doing keyword research means you try to serve what is best for your visitors. That’s why keyword research should be your first step in content creation or content marketing.
Step 1 – Understanding Search Intent
Questioning is the best way to understanding the search intent. So, here is the FAQ sorted in order to fill you in about search intent.
What is search intent?
Search intent is the intent or purpose of the searcher that he/she wants to find out.
What are examples of search intent?
Let’s see these keywords.
1. “Dell laptop”
2. “Buy a Dell laptop”
3. “The best Dell laptop under 500”
So. let’s see the search intent of that keyword.
1. Want to know the type of laptop from the Dell official website.
2. Want to buy a Dell laptop.
3. Want to find articles about Dell laptop recommendations based on price
Search engine, e.g Google, will most likely serve:
1. Official Dell site about laptop types, or sites that lists all of the laptops from Dell.
2. Products which the searcher wants to buy.
3. Articles that compare or list Dell laptops that has price under $500.
Depend on what your site is, you need to target specific search intent.
What are categories of search intent?
We categorize them into 4 categories.
3. Commercial investigation
What is “Informational” search intent?
As the name of search intent means, people who search for informational keywords want information quickly.
“Who was the first president of the US?”
“The value of the USD today”
Therefore, the content we provide must be in the form of information.
These types of search intent usually have a large volume of search, but less worth.
Usually the searcher wants to directly go to a website when doing this search, therefore other websites will most likely hard to get attention. Examples:
What is “Commercial Investigation” intent?
When people want to buy a gadget, especially high price gadget, people usually will not directly buy it.
People will investigate first about the product.
“Android phones below 500”
“The price of the canon D330 camera”
“Italian course in New York”
“The best web hosting in the US”
This type of search intent has the potential to make visitors that convert into buyers. Although they may not want to buy right away, they have already thought about buying. Web owners should convince them by using the content in the website.
If you want to sell products/services, collect as many as possible for the commercial investigation keywords related to your website.
Then make some quality content and target this search intent keyword.
What is “Buying” search intent?
Searchers who type “buying” keywords means they want and ready to buy a product/service.
“Buy Dell laptop online”
“Selling Nike soccer shoes”
“Cheap used iPhone”
If you are selling a product/service, you should target these keywords. The search volume is small, but the conversion rate is very good. Compared to informational search intent which has large volume but small conversion.
But unfortunately, the competition for these keywords are very fierce.
What is the most common mistakes in SEO?
Too focused on buying keywords.
As a result:
1. Website visitors do not get satisfactory information
2. Your website looks spammy
3. It’s hard to get high ratings because the content is small
What are recommended search intent I use?
Informational, commercial investigation, and buying intent.
1. Don’t create too many content with buying keywords.
2. Focus on quality, not quantity
3. Informational search intent must still be related to the type of product you sell.
Step 2 – Researching Keywords
Again, research means you are finding out info. Asking a good questions will lead, so let’s research it.
How to find initial ideas for the main keywords?
1. Start with your website product as the main keyword
2. Think of a some keywords related to the main keyword.
3. Separate them based on the search intents.
We call these keywords as seed keywords.
How to categorize keywords based on search intents?
What problems does your target market have?
What attracts visitors to your product/service?
What problems can be resolved using your product/service?
What else do visitors want to know besides your product/service?
What were their considerations before making a choice?
What informational content are they looking for before they buy?
(specifications, benefits, price)
How do they compare similar products?
(best, vs, review)
Are there any adjectives that describe your product/service?
(cheap, quality, blue, red)
Imagine you want to buy your product/service online, what would you search for in a search engine such as Google?
Do you provide any discounts, freebies, bonuses, etc?
What are free tools to do keyword research?
There are 2 tools that can be used.
1. Keywordtool.io, you can find the related keyword from your seed keywords. You can get many related keywords. To know search volume of the keywords, you have to subscribe.
2. Google Keyword Planner. Actually, this is a tool for advertiser, but you can use this as a SEO practitioner to know the search volume of keywords.
It is very easy to use SEMRush.
1. Put your website or competitor’s website
2. There will be top organic keywords
3. View Full Report
SEMRush also giving keyword research course for free for their subscriber. You can visit it at their page.
Ahrefs is actually a backlink research tool, but you can always use this tool for keyword research. You can see the video here.
Long Tail Pro
In short, long tail keywords are keywords that consists of some keywords. In results, competition level is much lower than short tail keywords.
Using this tool, you can find hidden gem of long tail keywords. If you are interested with this tool, they even have $1 trial here.